Photo Courtesy of: Drivers Edge Development
Handy, Staff Writer
After Drivers Edge Development had its first successful season, JR Motorsports and GMS Racing have both announced the programs six-member Class of 2020.
will include returning drivers â Sheldon Creed, Noah Gragson, Sam Mayer and
Zane Smith â the newcomers are Tyler Ankrum and Connor Mosack.
Chevrolet, Drivers Edge Development is designed to groom the next generation of
racing superstars. This includes a tiered competition pipeline, as well as
Development will continue the same way in 2020 with drivers competing in a
number of series with JR Motorsports or GMS entries while still being in the
In addition, JRM offers a regional late model program and entries in the NASCAR Xfinity Series. GMS races in the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series as well as the ARCA Menards Series.
While the competition focus is important, Drivers Edge Development provides drivers with training to enhance professional growth away from the race track.
Drivers will participate in educational programs focused on physical, mental and technical development.
A large emphasis is placed on areas such as brand building, social media, digital content, media training, and fan relations.
- Tyler Ankrum (Gander Trucks driver of the No. 26 for GMS) â A new addition to Drivers Edge Development, Ankrum won at Kentucky Speedway in the Gander Trucks Series in addition to winning Rookie of the Year honors in 2019. Ankrum had a strong 2018 campaign in the ARCA Series East where he earned four wins en route to the series title.
- Sheldon Creed (Gander Trucks driver of the No. 2 for GMS) â Creed won 2018 ARCA Menards Series champion and had a solid season in the Gander Trucks Series with GMS where he tallied up four top-five and 11 top-10 finishes, including runner-up finishes at Eldora and Michigan. Creed also made one start for JRM with its No. 8 NXS entry in Daytonaâs summer event last season.
- Noah Gragson (NXS driver of the No. 9 for JRM) â Gragson is coming off his first full season of NXS competition with JRM where he earned nine top- five and 22 top-10 finishes â both are career-bests â with an eighth-place finish in the NXS championship.
- Sam Mayer (Gander Trucks/ARCA driver for GMS) â Mayer is only 16 years old and he also makes a return to Drivers Edge Development in 2020. As part of the programâs inaugural class, Mayer saw a successful 2019 campaign with GMS that included the ARCA East championship, four wins, 11 top five, 11 top 10 finishes and three poles. Mayer also made his NASCAR National Series debut in the Gander Trucks at Bristol Motor Speedway in August.
- Connor Mosack (Late Model driver for JRM) â Mosack a Charlotte, N.C. native is the second newcomer to the Drivers Edge Development program in 2020. In 2019, Mosack raced Late Models at Hickory (N.C.) Motor Speedway, where he finished third in points and took top rookie honors. In addition, Mosack earned seven top-five and 25 top-10 finishes in 27 starts at the track. Mosack is also currently pursuing a business degree at High Point University.
- Zane Smith (Gander Trucks driver of the No. 21 for GMS) â Smith ran a part-time schedule with JRMâs No. 8 team in 2019, Â and in 2020 Smith moves into a full-time Gander Trucks seat with GMS. A native of Huntington Beach, California Smith earned two top-five and seven top-10 finishes in only 10 NXS starts last season. This will mark his first season in Gander Trucks.