Join host Jim Ayello and IndyCar driver Conor Daly as they discuss the shaky start in Portland plus Twitter questions. Clark Wade, Clark.Wade@Indystar.com
Don’t expect much push back from NASCAR drivers if changes come to the Brickyard.
Much of the lead up to this weekend’s Brickyard 400 has centered around how to reignite fan interest in the race. Crowd numbers have dwindled in recent years,Â although ticket sales were reportedly higher last year before the race was rained out of its scheduled Sunday start date. It drew an estimated 10,000 fans when it ran the following day.
In June, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Doug Boles said the track is still exploring the idea of moving the race from the oval to the road course.Â The idea was met with mixed reviews ahead of this year’s race.
“The road course … I’d definitely give it a shot,” Paul Menard said. “I love road racing and I think a lot of fellow drivers are starting to enjoy road racing. I think our cars put out a really good show on the road course.”
Defending Brickyard 400 champion Brad Keselowski is more hesitant with the idea. The NASCAR Cup Series currently races on three road courses.Â
“I’m pretty happy with the (IMS) oval,” Keselowski said. “I’m not really in on this road course movement. I don’t think we need any more road courses.”
Changes have already been made to the Brickyard 400 schedule to pique fan interest. This year’s race will feature both qualifying and the race itself on the same day. Next year’s race will move to July 4, giving both IndyCar and NASCAR holiday dates for their races.
EmailÂ sports reporter Tyler Kraft at TKraft@gannett.com. Follow him on Twitter or Facebook @bytylerkraft.