NASCAR driver Tyler Dippel said Wednesday that the legal issues that led to his suspension from racing last weekend in the Gander Outdoors Truck Series have been settled and asked for reinstatement.
The 19-year old said in a Facebook post that he was arrested on Aug. 18 after being stopped while driving home from the Orange County Fair Speedway near his hometown of Walkill. N.Y.
“I was pulled-over for changing lanes without proper signal,” he wrote. “The trooper asked my passenger and myself if we had been using drugs and we responded with âno’ – because we hadn’t. The trooper continued to question us and then asked to search the vehicle, which I gave him my consent as I had nothing to hide. In the back of my truck was a friend’s backpack who was not with us containing his prescription medication. Because it was in my vehicle, I was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance.”
Dippel also was driving his Ford F-150 truck at a speed of more than 80 mph in a 65 mph zone, according to multiple reports.
He said he self-reported the incident to NASCAR and was suspended, adding “I respect their decision.”
The charges were dismissed Wednesday in town court after he presented proof that the prescription was not his and that the owner of backpack and the medication “accepted responsibility for leaving them in my vehicle,” he said.
Dippel, who drives for Young Motorsports in the Gander Outdoors Truck Series, was suspended indefinitely and missed the race last weekend at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. He was replaced by D.J. Kennington, who finished in 15th place in the race won by Brett Moffitt.
“I along with my team will work closely with NASCAR to hopefully be reinstated so I can be back in the Young’s Motorsports No. 02 Chevrolet. I take full responsibility for my actions,” Dippel posted on Facebook.
–Field Level Media